An A-Z Guide About The Uses of Dragon Fruit
Dragon fruit is commonly enjoyed for both its look and taste. It is a tropical fruit that has become popular very recently. It grows on Hylocereus cactus which is popularly known as Honolulu queen. A special feature of this plant is that its flowers open only at night. This is a native of southern Mexico and Central America. Though the general name of it is dragon fruit, it is also known by the names, pitaya, pitahaya, and strawberry pear. In most cases, the peel of this fruit is of bright red color with green scales which corresponds to a dragon and it gets its name from there. The fruit has an exotic look but its taste is in between kiwi and pear.
Colors & Shapes of Dragon Fruit
Dragon fruits are available in various shapes and colors. They are :
- Pink skin, white flesh: This is the most ordinary type and the most popular kind of fruit that is available. It has white pulp with black seeds. It has two other names by which it is sold: Guyute and Cosmic Charlie.
- Pink skin, red or pink flesh: This may be called the cousin of the former, but is much sweeter and bigger than the white flesh. It has a red or pink pulp with black seeds. They are sold by the nicknames of Bloody Mary and Red Jaina.
- Pink Skin, Purple Flesh: They have a purple pulp with seeds. It is sold under the name of American beauty in stores.
- Yellow Skin, White flesh: It has white pulp with black seeds. Though this is one of the rare kinds of dragon fruit, it is sweeter than the other types.
Advantages of having a dragon fruit
There are a lot of benefits that you can get from dragon fruit. The fruit is a fat-free, low-calorie fruit which gives you:
Fiber – Dragon fruit is loaded with fiber and should be consumed by an adult for 25 grams per day. Fibers are beneficial as they help in gastrointestinal and cardiovascular functions. It also acts as a filler while you want to lose weight.
Vitamins and minerals – Dragon fruit is loaded with various vitamins and minerals. They are:
- Carotenoids – It helps in reducing the risk of cancer.
- Lycopene – It also helps in reducing the risk of cancer, as well as improves the functioning of the heart.
- Magnesium – It is necessary for the proper functioning of the cells. From the daily consumption of dragon fruit, 18 percent manganese is gained.
- Iron – It helps to improve the blood and give you energy. Around 8 percent of iron can be received in daily consumption of dragon fruit.
- Vitamin C – It is one of the important vitamins that your body needs. It helps the body to properly assimilate iron so your immune system gets boosted.
Antioxidants – Few antioxidants are present in the flesh of the dragon fruits which are very helpful for the body. They are
How to peel off and have a dragon fruit
Once you get hold of dragon fruit, you need to worry about how to cut it and consume it. All you need to do is follow the enlisted steps :
- The fruit should negligibly be soft while you press your finger on it. If it is hard then you should wait for a few days to let it ripe more.
- Once you find the fruit ideal to be consumed, cut it into pieces after peeling it. Like in most cases, you have to remove and eliminate the skin and eat the flesh or pulp. You can spoon it or scoop it out too.
- Though it is consumed raw, still you can grill it and enjoy it.
- You can also use dragon fruit in your desserts, cocktails, salads, smoothies, and fishes like cod, tuna, mahimahi.
- If you do not consume the whole fruit in a single day after cutting it into pieces, you should tightly cover it and refrigerate it.
- When you see that the fruit is turning brown after preserving, you should discard it.
Dragon fruit is a unique fruit with an incredible taste that adds flavor to your diet. It is a low-calorie fruit that you can always rely upon as it contains less sugar and carbs than any other tropical fruits.